Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) Pre/Post Instructions
Pre – IPL Instructions
- Absolutely no sun exposure or sunless tanner use on treatment areas. If skin appears to be sun exposed or sunless tanner has been used, treatment will be rescheduled.
- Discontinue use of tretinoin (Retin A) glycolic acid and salicylic acid one week prior to treatment.
- Discontinue aspirin products 1 week prior to treatment.
- Take Valtrex 500mg, twice a day beginning the day before your treatment if you have had cold sores in the past.
Post – IPL Instructions
- Mild discomfort/ stinging similar to sunburn sensation may be noted for 24 hours following treatment. Keep skin cool after treatment. Application of cool compresses, ice packs, aloe gel, and light oil free moisturizer may be used on the treatment area to minimize discomfort.
- Redness and mild inflammation should be expected following treatment and resolves in 24-48 hours. Some vessels may appear grey or purple in color and will resolve within 7-14 days. Darkened pigment is expected following treatment. Darkened pigment will heal within 7-14 days depending on the area treated.
- Do not scratch, pick, or scrub lesions as that can lead to post treatment complications.
- Keep treatment areas hydrated with moisture products. Aquaphor and petroleum-based products may be used 24 hours following treatment.
- Gentle cleansing and non-irritating cosmetics are permitted following treatment.
- Avoid hot water, swimming, jacuzzis, steam rooms, yoga, and exercise for 48 hours following treatment. If any skin irritation or sensitivity occurs with resumed activities, please contact your treatment provider for further instructions.
- Avoid direct sun exposure following treatment as this can lead to post treatment complications. It is important to remember that sun exposure to the treatment area/s should be avoided throughout the treatment course. When outdoors, please use SPF 30 or higher to protect your skin. Use of sunless tanner should also be avoided throughout treatment.
- Avoid use of tretinoin, glycolic acid, salicylic acid, astringents, and any other irritating products should be avoided for at least 3 days. If skin sensitivity occurs with use- discontinue and call your treatment provider for further instructions.
- The application of light energy to the skin may cause temporary redness and mild swelling.
- In rare cases, crusting, blistering, scabbing, and discoloration can occur. If you observe any of these rare side effects, please call 1-800-429-1151 to speak with your treatment provider for further instructions.
If you have any questions or concerns, call The Skin Center at 1-800-429-1151