Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Hair Therapy Pre/Post Instructions
Patients will not be sedated for this treatment although you will experience a burning sensation that last for less than 20 minutes. We recommend taking Extra Strength Tylenol before your appointment to abate this discomfort. We also offer Nitrous Oxide (Laughing Gas) if needed. Neither of these products will prohibit you from driving yourself.
PRE – PRP INSTRUCTIONS
PRP Therapy is very safe because cells from the patient’s own blood are used, which means there are no preservatives and no chance of the body rejecting the cells. The primary risks and discomforts are related to the blood draw where there is a slight pinch to insert the needle for collection and there is a potential for bruising at the site.
- For optimal results and to decrease the chance of bruising, please avoid all blood thinning medications and herbal supplements for 1 week prior to your appointment.
- Avoid taking Aspirin and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications (NSAIDS) such as such as Ibuprofen, Motrin and Aleve.
- Please notify your provider if you are taking Coumadin, Plavix, or any other blood thinners for a medical condition.
- If possible, please refrain from, or minimize, smoking three days prior to and three days after the treatment. Smoking may impact healing and the oxygen delivery to the treated area.
- Minimize alcoholic consumption for three days prior to your PRP treatment.
- The morning of your treatment:
- We Suggest that you bring a hat with you as your hair will be messy after the treatment.
- Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo. Do not apply sprays, gels or any other styling products to your hair. If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRP treatments.
- Eat regularly the morning of your treatment.
POST – PRP INSTRUCTIONS
- What to Expect After Treatment: Immediately following the procedure, the most commonly reported temporary side effects are redness, swelling, bruising, tenderness, tingling, numbness, lumpiness, and/or a feeling of pressure or fullness at the treated area(s). Cold gel packs/ice may be gently applied immediately after treatment to reduce swelling.
- Do not wash treatment area for 12 hours. After 12 hours, you may use hair products and continue with your topical medications.
- You may experience some pain and soreness for 2-3 days after your treatment. If this occurs, we recommend that you take Tylenol. If you are having excessive pain, please contact our office immediately at 1-800-429-1151.
- Do not expose yourself to extreme hot or cold temperatures or to large swings in temperatures for 2-3 days.
- Do not use a sauna, hot tub or Jacuzzi or go swimming for 2-3 days.
- Do not expose yourself to long periods in the sun for 2-3 days.
- No exercising or strenuous activity for the first 24 hours post treatment.
If you have any questions or concerns, call The Skin Center at 1-800-429-1151.