Pre-Chemical Peel Instructions
- Avoid sun exposure for one week prior to peel.
- Avoid use of tretinoin, glycolic acid, and salicylic acid 7 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid waxing and/or use of chemical depilatories for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you have had other skin rejuvenation procedures in the past month, please discuss with your treatment provider before your chemical peel.
- Procedures need to have adequate time spacing between them to avoid complications.
- Take Valtrex 500mg twice a day beginning the day before your treatment if you have had cold sores in the past.
- Peeling from this procedure can range from light flaking to moderate peeling and can last for 3-7 days depending on the treatment. Please keep this in mind for planning purposes.
Post-Chemical Peel Instructions
- Skin may appear pinkish, tight, and dry. Peeling will likely begin 2-3 days post treatment and may last up to 7 days. Do not pick, scratch or scrub away peeling or loose skin. Picking or scrubbing at the skin in an attempt to speed the sloughing process can lead to prolonged peeling, scabbing, pigment changes and other complications.
- Use post care products as directed until all peeling has resolved and skin is completely healed and free of irritation.
- Use of makeup may be resumed the day after treatment. Apply and remove delicately. If irritation occurs, please discontinue use until skin is completely free of peeling.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and excessive heat throughout your peeling process as your skin heals. Failing to do so can result in blistering, pigment changes, and other complications. Skin will be more sensitive following chemical peeling. Sun exposure can result in sunburn and pigment changes. Use caution when outdoors and always use SPF 30 or higher.
- Avoid hot water, swimming, hot tubs, jacuzzi, steam rooms, yoga, and exercise for 3 days. If irritation or sensitivity occurs with resumed activities, please discontinue, and contact your treatment provider for further instructions.
- Use of tretinoin, glycolic acid, and salicylic acid products may be resumed 7 days post peel as long as no peeling is present, and skin is completely healed.
- It is recommended that you wait 2 weeks for waxing procedures.
If you have any questions or concerns, call The Skin Center at 1-800-429-1151