Medium Chemical Peel Pre/Post Instructions
PRE-CHEMICAL PEEL INSTRUCTIONS
- Avoid sun exposure for one week prior to peel.
- Avoid use of tretinoin, glycolic acid, and salicylic acid 7 days prior to treatment.
- Avoid waxing and/or use of chemical depilatories for 2 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you have had other skin rejuvenation procedures in the past month, please discuss with your treatment provider before your chemical peel. Procedures need to have adequate time spacing between them to avoid complications.
- Take Valtrex 500mg twice a day beginning the day before your treatment if you have had cold sores in the past.
- Peeling from this procedure is similar to a sunburn type peeling. Peeling may begin 3-4 days post treatment and can last up to 3-5 depending on the treatment. Please keep this in mind for planning purposes.
POST-CHEMICAL PEEL INSTRUCTIONS
- Skin may appear pinkish, tight, and dry. A light-yellow tint (from Retinoic Acid) may also be present on skin or around hair line which will rinse off with cleansing at instructed time.
- Do not apply anything to your skin for 4 hours following treatment. If your skin becomes itchy during the first 4 hours, you may apply your Post Peel Protectant (Anti Itch Cream).
- If you experience extreme itching, redness, or swelling at any time following your treatment, contact our office to speak with your treatment provider.
- Use towelettes as directed according to the VI Peel instruction booklet. Towelettes have a yellow tint (from Retinoic Acid) which may transfer to skin and fingers. This will rinse away with cleansing.
Use of makeup may be resumed the day after treatment. Apply and remove delicately. If irritation occurs, please discontinue use until skin is completely free of peeling.
- Peeling will likely begin 3-4 days post treatment and may last up to 7 days. Do not pick, scratch or scrub away peeling or loose skin. Picking or scrubbing at the skin, in an attempt to speed the sloughing process, can lead to prolonged peeling, scabbing, pigment changes and other complications.
- Use Post Peel Protectant (Anti Itch Cream) and other products as directed until all peeling has resolved and skin is completely healed and free of irritation.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and excessive heat throughout your peeling process as your skin heals. Failing to do so can result in blistering, pigment changes, and other complications. Skin will be more sensitive following chemical peeling. Sun exposure can result in sunburn and pigment changes. Use caution when outdoors and always use SPF 30 or higher.
- Avoid hot water, swimming, Jacuzzi, steam rooms, yoga, and exercise for 4 days. If irritation or sensitivity occurs with resumed activities, please discontinue, and contact your treatment provider for further instructions.
- Use of tretinoin, glycolic acid, and salicylic acid products may be resumed 7 days post peel, as long as no peeling is present, and skin is completely healed.
- To avoid post treatment complications, discuss any upcoming treatments you may have with your treatment provider to assure adequate time frame exists.
- It is recommended that you wait 2 weeks for waxing procedures.
If you have any questions or concerns, call The Skin Center at 1-800-429-1151