Skincare with GRASS? Seriously?
Ok, we aren’t really talking about phytochemicals here. Nope. It’s nothing you mow (or smoke). And we’re not talking about some new “wicked green” Elphaba look. We’re talking about G.R.A.S.S.—the five simple letters to remember when crafting your perfect skincare routine.
Developed by SkinMedica®, G.R.A.S.S. is an acronym designed to take the guesswork out of skincare product choices.
Skin Transformation, Made Simple!
Each letter in G.R.A.S.S. represents a skincare product category. Just choose a product from each important category (with the help of an expert skincare provider) and you’re ready for skin transformation, made simple.
G – Growth Factors
Growth Factors are for rejuvenation. These are naturally occurring proteins that help rebuild collagen to minimize the appearance of wrinkles while improving skin tone and texture. By incorporating growth factors into your skincare routine, you’ll experience cell structure repair and remodeling—critical to countering the aging process. To help you turn back time.
For Growth Factors, The Skin Center recommends:
- SkinMedica TNS Essential Serum®
- Neocutis BIO CREAM Bio-restorative Skin Cream with PSP®
- Neocutis BIO Serum
- Neocutis BIO Gel
- SkinMedica TNS Recovery Complex®
R – Retinols
Retinols are for renewal. Retinoids (as well as Retin-A) are a class of compounds structurally-related to vitamin-A. They have been working wonders to treat acne, reduce wrinkles, lighten skin discoloration, improve texture and prevent “photo aging” (a fancy term for sun damage that causes premature aging.) If you’ve never tried Retin-A (Retin-A) or you should start with a Retinol product, limit use to twice per week (to prevent peeling) and gradually increase to nightly use as your skin becomes accustomed to it. Later, you can gradually increase your Retinol percentage and then move to Retin-A for maximum benefits.
For Retinols, The Skin Center recommends:
- SkinMedica Retinol Complex 0.25% or 0.5% (to start)
- Neocutis NOUVELLE + Retinol Correction
A – Antioxidants
Antioxidants are for Free Radical Defense. What are free radicals? Well, the “science-y” definition describes them as molecules with unpaired electrons—on the hunt for another electron. Once paired, they are highly reactive, causing things to degrade and deteriorate. (Think apples slices. When exposed to air, they oxidize and turn brown.) Our skin needs plenty of antioxidants, like Vitamin C and E, to defend itself against the daily assault of free radicals. (The way lemon juice prevents apples from browning.)
For Antioxidants, The Skin Center recommends:
- Neocutis RéACTIVE with VITAPLEX C™
- SkinMedica Vitamin C + E Complex (use daily)
- SkinMedica Dermal Repair Cream (use nightly)
- Hylunia Beyond C
- Hylunia Ultimate Anti-Oxidant Cream
S – Specialty Products
Specialty products are for your uniquely individual needs. They address very specific skin conditions such as puffy eyes, dark spots/hyperpigmentation or rosacea.
For Specialty Products, The Skin Center recommends:
- Neocutis Lumiere-Riche (Eye Cream)
- SkinMedica Uplifting Eye Serum
- Skin Medica Scar Recovery
- Hylunia Intensive Repair Eye Cream (Dark Circles, Organic)
- SkinMedica Lytera® Skin Brightening Complex (Dark spot lightener)
- SkinMedica Redness Relief Calmplex (Rosacea)
S – Sun Protection
Sun Protection in for UVDefense. We recommend (as does The Skin Cancer Foundation) using a Broad Spectrum Sun Protection Factor (SPF) of 30 or higher. Broad Spectrum refers to products containing protection against both UVA and UVB rays. Remember, B-rays are the burning rays while A-rays are the more invisible, aggressive rays requiring a physical or chemical “block.” Physical blocks (Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide) stay on top of your skin as a protective barrier, while chemical blocks are absorbed into your skin.
For Sun Protection, The Skin Center recommends:
- SkinMedica Daily Physical Defense® Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30+
- Revision Intellishade SPF 45 Intensive Moisturizer (Tinted)
- Neova DNA Damage Control Silc Sheer SPF 40
- EltaMD UV Lotion SPF 30
- EltaMD UV SPF 40 (Tinted)
- EltaMD UV Physical 41 (with Zinc Oxide + Titanium Dioxide)
- EltaMD UV Clear SPF46 (for Acne-Prone Skin)
Need help choosing products for your GRASS skincare routine?
In Columbus and Pittsburgh skincare product choices for a GRASS regimen are customized just for you during a private skin consultation with one of our expert Medical Estheticians. IT’S FREE! Just call 1-412-429-1151 for an appointment.